Thursday, January 10, 2013

9. The Thing (2011)

9. Thing, The
Rated: R
Released: 2011
Starring: Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Ulrich Thomsen
Format Watched in: On Demand

I haven't seen the original by John Carpenter either but I was familiar enough with the ideas behind the original that I felt comfortable trying what they were calling a prequel first.  There are fewer things I dislike more in horror movies than showing the creature quickly and eliminating that suspense and fear of what could be causing the damage.  However I can't really blame them for showing the alien so quickly if only because the alien creature isn't really what you are supposed to be fearing here.  No the fear is in assimilation.  In the unknown and paranoia about who can you trust and if the people around you are who you think they are.  I think my biggest gripe with this movie is that there is no real connection to the characters and as a result you don't care one way or the other who dies and who lives.    These people just get dropped into the Antarctic with little to no backstory.  Hell I think only like four of them have names.  Still for a harmless horror movie you could do worse.  Still I'm gonna say stick with the 1982 version.  Yes I know I haven't seen it but it's probably better and you know it.

Rating: C-


No comments:

Post a Comment