Wednesday, January 16, 2013

13. Antz

13. Antz
Rated: PG
Released: 1998
Starring: Woody Allen, Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, Jennifer Lopez
Format Watched in: DVD

I was still a small child when Woody Allen rose into WOODY ALLEN and since then he's just become this guy that makes pretty much the same movie over and over again and everyone loves them.  Now I don't know what made Woody Allen decide he wanted to be a part of an animated movie in 1998.  Unfortunately for this gem of a movie it was greatly overshadowed by coming out the same year as Pixar's A Bug's Life and the bright colors of A Bug's Life won out over the more realistic looking Antz.  Plus you see that annoying "let's appeal to young punks" Z at the end of the word Ants?  Yeah that probably annoyed people enough to get them to watch the other one instead.  If this was called Ants I bet it would be more popular.  Anyway I'm distracted.  The story of Z (ugh give him a real name!) has some really great underlying themes that I really enjoyed.  For me the story became one of wanting to do something because it's what you love not because it's the role assigned to you.  It's the story of asking questions of your leaders and coming to decisions on your own.  It's about finding yourself and loving yourself.  And if you were wondering yes Woody Allen is just as neurotic animated.

Rating: B


1 comment:

  1. I think Antz has always been underrated. I never really cared much for A Bugs Life.

    ReplyDelete