Sunday, January 6, 2013

3. A Few Good Men

3. A Few Good Men
Rated R
Released: 1992
Staring: Tom Cruise Demi Moore Jack Nicholson
Format Watched in: Theater (thanks to the 20/20 awards!)

You know those movies where you've seen pivotal clips of so many times that you feel like you have seen the entire film?  A Few Good Men was one of those films for me.  I had seen the Nicholson/Cruise courtroom standoff scene so many times that I absolutely felt like I had seen it.  In reality that was really all of this movie that I had ever seen, which is a shame because I really was missing out on a pretty good film.  I won't recap the entire plot here because it really doesn't matter.  I can tell you that it was good to see that while everyone can pretty much agree that Tom Cruise overacts all over the place, I can now confirm that he has really mellowed as an actor in the later parts of his career compared to this role where he is absolutely as far over the top that unfortunately it makes Demi Moore's wooden and dead performance look even worse next to him.  Jack is... well he's Jack.  I think my favorite actor in this movie is the very understated but grounded and believable Kevin Pollack playing Cruise's assistant attorney.  Overall this was an enjoyable film that while cheesy and over the top in parts kept my attention and worked when it really had no right working.

Rating: B


No comments:

Post a Comment