Friday, January 25, 2013

25. Movie 43

25. Movie 43
Rated: R
Released: 2013
Starring:  Emma Stone, Stephen Merchant, Richard Gere, Liev Schreiber
Format Watched in: Theater

I honestly don't know how to talk about this movie.  What is essentially a collection of shorts that seem to be constantly trying to out gross the last one works on that level.  With that said there was very little point beyond that and I am at a point where unless I am in the mood for it I expect more from my comedy than just "Hugh Jackman has balls on his neck isn't that hilarious?".  There were shorts that really worked for me, Homeschooled, Veronica, Machine Kids, Middle School Date and Super Hero Speed Dating in particular.  There were also ones that left me thankful no one in the theater knew who I was because I was embarrassed to be there.  The visual effects were hit and miss, Gerard Butler as a leprechaun was a hit, Halle Berry having CGI boobs did not. (for the record I don't mind that she decided to CGI her boob, I just wish it was a more realistic looking boob.) I appreciate these collections of shorts if they are done right like Amazon Women On the Moon or Kentucky Fried Movie, this one doesn't deserve to be compared to those movies but at the same time at least it tried to be original and I can at least appreciate that about it.

Rating: C-


1 comment:

  1. Good call, Allen. 'Victory's Glory' was still my favorite. Sooo many reviewers are giving it an utter 'F'; but I think your 'C-' grade is right on if you can take each joke simply for each joke's sake. What's interesting is that no one reviewing the movie can bring themselves to even mention 'Beezel'.

    ReplyDelete