Wednesday, January 16, 2013

10. Life of Pi

10. Life of Pi
Rated: PG
Released: 2012
Starring: Suraj Sharma, Irrfan Khan, Adil Hussain
Format Watched in: Theaters

Going into Life of Pi I knew it was going to be a visual masterpiece.  Ang Lee rarely skimps on the pretty in his movies, and the trailer makes it look vaguely reminiscent of a live action Fantasia.  What I didn't expect was to walk out of the theater questioning everything I had just seen and in total awe of the experience.  The difficulty of making a movie that essentially is just one actor for the entire duration is that so much of the drama or motivations are internal so so few of them actually work.  With that said this one absolutely works thanks in part to the emotions that they were able to get from a CGI tiger and the performance by Suraj Sharma.  The story itself is so unbelievable and ambitious that I still can't believe that it was made.  Everything about this movie was beautiful and I left the movie with more questions and aching to see it again.  I don't know if it will win the Academy award but I will say that if I had a vote I know what I would be voting for.

Rating: A


No comments:

Post a Comment